One-to-Many Account Based Marketing
One-to-many Account Based Marketing (ABM) takes a targeted approach to outreach, engaging a defined set of accounts rather than scattering efforts broadly. However, it differs from one-to-few ABM in that it scales across hundreds or thousands of target accounts. Here’s an overview of executing an effective one-to-many ABM strategy:
Define Your Ideal Customer Profile The starting point for a one-to-many ABM program is researching and constructing your ideal customer profile (ICP). This is a composite sketch of your best-fit accounts, based on attributes like:
- Industry, company size, location
- Tech stack and tools used
- Budget range and spending authority
- Organizational challenges and pain points
- Stated buying needs and interests
Your ICP serves as a filtering mechanism for identifying target accounts that align with your solution. The more precise you can make your ICP, the better.
Build Your Target Account List Leverage your ICP to build a broad list of target accounts. Cast a wide net by pulling in accounts from sources like:
- Your CRM system and existing pipeline
- Firmographic databases based on your ICP
- Intent data from website traffic and content downloads
- Third-party modelled lists
No need to limit yourself to hundreds of accounts. For one-to-many ABM, target lists often contain thousands of accounts that match the ICP.
Segment and Cluster Your Accounts With your broad account list in place, segment targets into groups for more relevant messaging. Useful ways to cluster accounts include:
- Industry vertical or market segment
- Company size or number of employees
- Technology used
- Account lifecycle stage (new, existing, closed-lost)
Grouping accounts helps personalise outreach at scale. You can craft content and campaigns suited to each cluster.
Orchestrate Omnichannel Outreach Equipped with audience segments, execute campaigns across multiple channels such as:
- Targeted digital ads and website personalisation
- Email nurture tracks with dynamic content
- Direct mail campaigns with versioning
- Industry-specific thought leadership
- Event activations based on regions or tech stacks
- Retargeting web visitors from target accounts
- Account-centric social media outreach
Automation and marketing automation streamline the process of reaching accounts. Messages should speak to the audience segment’s shared interests and challenges.
Empower Sales with Account Intelligence Sales needs visibility into target accounts for productive conversations. Provide insights like:
- Accounts matched to their territory
- Firmographic and contact details
- Tech stack intel
- Propensity to buy scores
- Recent website and content activity
- Conversation guides for roles
- Email templates and playbooks
This intelligence helps sales prioritise and personalise outreach to accounts with the highest potential.
Report on Engagement and Iterate To refine your one-to-many ABM approach, establish KPIs to track effectiveness across programs and audiences. Examples include:
- Account reach and contact rates
- Content download and web visit rates
- Inbound requests and sales conversations
- Marketing qualified account rates
- Sales pipeline influence and velocity
- Lift in deal sizes or win rates
Review results at the segment level and optimize campaigns to improve engagement. Nurture opportunities and expand targeting where there’s traction.
One-to-many ABM brings alignment between marketing and sales on a shared set of target accounts. While not as high-touch as one-to-few programs, one-to-many ABM can efficiently expand your reach to prospects that match your ideal customer profile. With coordinated execution and measurement, it can become a scalable engine for pipeline and revenue growth.